[Rpcemu] Hard disk image question

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 12:18:01 PST 2011

Hi Hugo,

> Does anyone have any idea what ADFS looks for in the boot sector? The
> image appears to be complete, I believe it was from either my A540 or
> RISCPC, and it's mountable under linux without issue.

The Risc PC didn't have SCSI support IIRC, and I've an odd idea the A540
may have come with a SCSI podule?, have you any idea who manufactured
the SCSI podule this drive it would have been connected to?  Acorn did
one, Oak did another, don't know if there are more.  (Mine was Oak.)

When you say it's mountable under Linux, does that mean

    mount -o loop mnt acorn.img

just works or did you have to specify an offset into the image?

> In case it sheds any light, here's the first 32k od'ed (lots of zeros
> omitted, obviously!).

At first glance it looks a bit odd.  If Linux handles it then I guess
the drive's particular partition scheme, there were various, must be in
http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.37.2/fs/partitions/acorn.c

Cheers,
Ralph.