[Rpcemu] Reading ADFS formatted IDE discs via a USB-IDE adaptor

Jim Lesurf jcgl at audiomisc.co.uk
Fri Mar 25 09:22:16 PDT 2011

I am looking for ways to be able to read the content from a number of old
ADFS formatted IDE hard discs from some old RiscPCs.

Ideally, I'm aiming to use a USB-IDE adaptor of the kind sold by CPC or
Maplin. But I have my doubts these will actually work with an Iyonix USB
interface. [1] (Anyone here know of one that does?)

A possible alternative occurs to me, but I don't know if it is feasible,
but I thought someone here may know.

This is to connect the IDE disc to one of my linux boxes using the USB-IDE
adaptor and then either get the content as an ADFS format image file, then
use the file from each disc in turn as 'hd5.hdf' with RPCEmu to access the
contents. Or - if possible - have RPCEmu connect to the disc via the
adaptor 'directly'.

Anyone done this or can say anything about if the ideas might work or not?

Cheers,

Jim

[1] Have my doubts because I already have a USB-SATA adaptor. This works
OK with my Linux boxes. But my Iyonix doesn't even pop up an icon when it
is connected. Plan to ask CJE about the USB-IDE but my assumption at
present is that I'll be out of luck... unless someone knows different!