[Rpcemu] Networking on Mac OS X Lion

Francis Devereux francis at devrx.org
Mon Nov 7 16:00:42 PST 2011

On 6 Nov 2011, at 11:58, David Pitt wrote:

> TunTap has now been updated to run on Lion.
>
> http://tuntaposx.sourceforge.net/
>
> The results are mixed.
>
> Using the latest rpcemu 0.8.8-devel, rpcemu-spoon-fjd-2011-10-25b.zip,
> networking appears to be OK on OS4.04 and OS4.37. However with OS5.17
> NetSurf will fetch from the first URL requested but nothing
> thereafter.

Is this OS5.17 behaviour Lion-specific or does it happen on older versions of OS X too? I can reproduce it on my OS X 10.7.2 machine but I haven't tried earlier versions of OS X.

I've implemented a hacky fix for it: previously if the network buffer was full then the network read thread would wait forever for the EtherRPCEm module in the emulated machine to read the network data. Now the network read thread only waits for a second, and before each second it waits it re-raises the EtherRPCEm podule interrupt. This seems to work but I'm not sure why - enlightenment and/or suggestions for a better fix welcome!

Francis