[Rpcemu] using pre-compiled build on MacOSX 10.5.6

David Pitt pittdj at pittdj.co.uk
Thu Oct 27 04:59:37 PDT 2011

In message <A1FCBB46-F9E5-44D6-BC10-727AA2D2E26A at yahoo.co.uk>
  Luke Abraham <theabro at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi David,
> cc RPCEmu list

> [snip]

>> Is 10.5.6 of relevance, I am running 10.7.2 and Francis's latest 0.8.8
>> build.
>>

> Using the 0.8.8 build
> (http://www.devrx.org/software/rpcemu/rpcemu-spoon-fjd-2011-10-25b.zip
>
> ) solves a lot of the stability issues, however, I am having some
> problems - see below. I don't think that 10.5.6 is the issue here. Do
> I need to make sure that I am using version 4.4 (or the patched 4.3
> version) of allegro, or is that included in the build? I have
> installed version 4.2.

Allegro is only required when building, it is not required to run the
builds.

>> [snip]
>>
>>> I was attempting to follow the instructions with the 4.02 ROM to
>>> extract the contents of RO4disc,ff8 to the virtual hard disk
>>> (replacing the cmos.ram and hd4.hdf with files from the file
>>> hdboot.zip found at b-em.bbcmicro.com/arculator). In this case I was
>>> able to get the error "Internal error: abort on data transfer at
>>> &021080B8". Then error 2 above occurred.
>>
>> That arculator hd4.hdf is really old and not appropriate for OS4
>> though it did not crash when tried here with OS4.04.
>>
>> !Boot here is in HostFS and FileSystem is configured to boot from
>> HostFS.
>>

> The problem I have here is that the disk labelled '4' is not readable,
> so I cannot extract the contents of RO4disc,ff8. When opening '4' I
> get the error 'Error when reading ADFS::4.$ - Disc not understood -
> has it been formatted?'.

> If using the hd4.hdf file provided by arculator, I can view the hard-
> disk, however, I am having lots of problems extracting the data
> (various errors, 'Disk in use', it hangs when copying, etc).

> Is there a way around this hard-drive issue? I don't really want to
> use the arculator one if I don't need to.

The way round this difficulty with the emulated ADFS drive is not to
use it. TBH I don't know whether this is a general problem or not, but
put it to one side.

I assume RO4disc,ff8 is from ROL. This zip file needs to be unzipped,
then installed within HostFS and rpcemu set to boot from HostFS.

Put the zip anywhere in HostFS using the Mac. Grab the self extracting
version of SparkPlug and place the download in HostFS also using the
Mac.

http://www.davidpilling.net/free.html

http://marutan.net/rpcemuspoon/manual/#hostfs

I can give more details if required.

--
David Pitt

MessengerPro 6 on an ARMini running RISC OS 5