[Rpcemu] RPCEmu 'viewfinder'?

Peter Howkins rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net
Mon Oct 31 04:28:31 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:48:57PM +0100, Tim Powys-Lybbe wrote:
> On 24 Oct at 16:45, Peter Howkins <rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > I personally have no interest in building RO5 and inventing virtual
> > hardware to run it on. I'll stick to the RPC (and similar machines),
> > with the max OS and software compatabilty.
>
> Interesting, a different take to my objectives.

I probably best clarify, yes we're very interested in running risc os 5 on
rpcemu, to the level that it runs on real IOMD based hardware. That will
gain you > 28MB wimp slots etc.

What I'm avoiding is creating an emulator of a machine that doesn't
actually exist, and will only run specifically created builds of risc os
5.

By Max OS and software compatability, I mean the ability to work with any
OS [1] that work on real IOMD hardware and all those pieces of software
that failed to survive such things as StrongARM split cache changes, risc
os 4 and select changes and the move to 32bit addressing [2]. In this
manner the emulator acts as a preservation platform for software that
stands a great chance of becomming unrunnable in future. As such
concentrating on RISC OS 5, and running a tiny subset of the available
software doesn't appeal anywhere near as much.

There are of course alternative real hardware platforms for people to
run RISC OS 5 on, with greater capabilities, and with support for running
people's 'essential' requirements.

Peter

[1] There's still a few that don't work, we're working on it.
[2] For even earlier arthur/risc os2/risc os 3.0/3.1 compatability see
    arculator.

--
Peter Howkins
peter.howkins at marutan.net