[Rpcemu] Some ques re RPCemu-0.8.9 on Linux

Peter Howkins rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net
Wed Jan 4 03:16:55 PST 2012

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 02:36:55PM +1100, Terry Duell wrote:
> Hullo All,
> I have just built RPCemu-0.8.9  on Fedora 16 x86_64.
> The release notes said there were some improvements to the GUI,
> including improving the layout of the "Configure" window.
> Could someone please clarify what is meant by the "Configure" window?
> I assumed it meant a window that allowed the configuration of
> processor emulation, memory etc, but I can't find anything here.

The changes were merely to the layout of the window, added whitespace and
making it a bit easier to read.

> I have tended to stay with a much earlier version (rev 168, probably
> 0.8.2) and it had menus at the top left of the RPCemu window,
> providing access to configuration options. No sign of anything like
> that here on this build, so I can only assume that the build is not
> right somehow, or I haven't found a means of making the configure
> window visible.

The menu is available by pressing ctrl-end, just as in 0.8.2.

> I have never been able to make hostfs work on the later versions,
> and now I can't even find any useful information on how I should go
> about it...I am in a bad way :-)

First things first, let's make sure hostfs is running.

Grab a copy of the source code from http://www.marutan.net/rpcemu/
Compile it up
Drop a romimage in the 'roms' directory
Run rpcemu

When RISC OS boots there should be a 'hostfs' icon on the iconbar, click
it.
A directory should pop up with a directory in called 'Network', this
contains a few files we pre-ship in hostfs to help setup networking.
If you haven't got that, something has gone wrong, check back here for
more advice before continuing.

> I would like to be able to use the latest version of RPCemu, but
> with ready and simple access to my host system files.
> Can someone please point me to some info that clearly describes how
> I can configure hostfs, or 0.8.9 to use hostfs, to provide direct
> access to my host system files?

Here's my handy guide for making any part of the linux filesystem
available in hostfs. These commands are run in linux, not rpcemu.

1) Change into the hostfs directory

   >cd rpcemu/hostfs

2) Link in a directory using the linux 'ln' command, to quote the man page
   on it 'ln - make links between files'

   Some examples;

   Make the root directory available in hostfs
   >ln -s / root

   Make your users home directory available in hostfs
   >ln -s ~ home

   Make any directory you like available
   >ln -s /full/path/to/directory/wanted nameoffolderinriscos

3) Test in RISC OS
   When you click on hostfs now you should have your extra folders
   available, for example if you added the 'root' directory above,
   clicking the folder 'root' will open the host system folder /

4) As the webpage says, make sure all files you use with RPCEmu are well
   backed up, this includes all files you choose to make available to
   RISC OS via hostfs/emufs.

Hope this helps.

Peter

--