[Rpcemu] RPCEmu 0.8.9

george greenfield george.greenfield at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 03:46:04 PST 2012

In message <356CAC42-4C55-4B75-8A35-BA1A0F96198C at devrx.org>
          Francis Devereux <francis at devrx.org> wrote:

> A beta is now available for Mac OS X:
> http://www.devrx.org/software/rpcemu/rpcemu-spoon-0.8.9-fjd-beta1.zip
>
> It includes the features listed under "All Platforms" in Peter's email
> (below).
>
> I've only lightly tested it, so success or failure reports are
> appreciated, particularly if you're running a different version of OS
> X from me (I'm on 10.7.2).
>
> Francis
>
> On 1 Jan 2012, at 21:22, Peter Howkins wrote:
>
>> A new version of RPCEmu is available, 0.8.9
>>
>> http://www.marutan.net/rpcemu/
>>
>> * All Platforms
>>
>>  - Add support for emulation of 256 MB of RAM - the maximum possible in the
>>    Risc PC and A7000 architecture.
>>
>>  - A new option to reduce CPU usage. By enabling this menu option,
>> RPCEmu will
>>    attempt to reduce its CPU usage by utilising the 'Idle' feature of
>> RISC OS.
>>    Once enabled, the CPU usage should reduce roughly 30 seconds after booting
>>    RISC OS provided that activity is low enough. No 'Portable' module is
>>    required to use this feature. This is partly based on code by Jeffrey
>>    Lee.
>>
>>  - A two-button mouse mode, for use on laptops and similar: this menu option
>>    swaps the right and middle mouse buttons, allowing the more common RISC OS
>>    use of Select and Menu on two-button mouse systems such as laptops.
>>
>>  - Several fixes to the "Follow host mouse" feature, which should make
>>    it more reliable: Correctly interprets OS_Byte 106 and handles
>>    pointer/cursor linking.
>>
>>  - SWIs are now intercepted even when called using CallASWI, based on a
>>    patch by Alan Buckley. This further improves the reliability of the
>>    "Follow host mouse" feature.
>>
>>  - The mouse type will be automatically configured based on the type of
>>    emulated machine. Previously it was necessary to use '*configure
>>    mousetype' when changing between Risc PC and A7000 emulation.
>>
>>  - Resolved ARM bug where rotate could set C flag incorrectly.
>>
>>  - A possible crash in the Dynamic Recompiler has been prevented by a
>>    fix from Tom Walker.
>>
>>  - RISC OS 4.02 with no VRAM configured now boots in Risc PC emulation.
>>
>>  - Accuracy improvements to emulation of IOMD.
>>
>>  - Workaround ADC issue on 64bit recompiler which prevented RISC OS 5.17
>>    from booting.
>>
>>  - Refactoring of code, particularly relating to RAM and IOMD.
>>
>> * Windows
>>
>>  - The window size is now taller by one pixel. Previously it was too
>>    short, and the very bottom row of the display was missing.
>>
>>  - Some improvements to the GUI, including enabling Windows "Visual
>>    Styles" so that windows adopt the native look of the OS, and
>>    improving the layout of the "Configure" window.
>>
>>  - A potential freeze when choosing "File->Exit" has been fixed.
>>
>>  - An improved icon, which includes high-resolution variants for Windows
>>    Vista and later.
>>
>> * Linux

> [...]

Some detailed advice on upgrading from 0.8.8 running RO 4.02 on
Windows would be welcome (by me, at least). In particular, I'd be
anxious to preserve !Boot (including network settings) and HardDisc4
and HostFS contents. FWIW the host PC is using Windows 7 (64-bit).
I've been using RPCEmu daily now for a month and am impressed by its
speed and stability - thanks to the developers!

george greenfield