[Rpcemu] Some ques re RPCemu-0.8.9 on Linux

Terry Duell tduell at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 16 21:37:01 PST 2012

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:10:51 +1100, Terry Duell <tduell at iinet.net.au>
wrote:

[snip]
> OK, did all the gdb stuff, but RPCemu didn't crash.
[snip]
> I'll try again a few more times and hopefully get it to crash.

I haven't had any success with getting RPCemu to crash whilst running
under gdb.
All that has been happening is that RPCemu appears to freeze when I
attempt to open my root dir on the host linux system.
This is pretty much the normal behaviour that I have experienced, when
running RPCemu normally.
I'm far from any sort of expert on this business, but I have seen similar
behaviour from another package, and that turned out to be due to a race
condition, i.e a threading problem. In that case the problem didn't occur
on all systems (Win, OSX, and Linux), but was able to be readily
reproduced on my system (AMD quad cor 965, running Fedora x86_64).
At the time I did a lot of bug tracking on that problem and eventually
found sufficient evidence, using valgrind, for others to make some fixes.
I have run 'valgrind --tool=helgrind ./rpcemu', and attached that result.
It may help.

Regards,
Terry Duell