[Rpcemu] RISC OS 5.17 benchmarked against 4.02

george greenfield george.greenfield at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 10:56:30 PDT 2012

In message <85db56e752.old_coaster at old_coaster.yahoo.co.uk>
          Tony Moore <old_coaster at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 31 Oct 2012, Tony Moore <old_coaster at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 30 Oct 2012, george greenfield <george.greenfield at tiscali.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> > Any guidance on how to do the 5.17>5.19 upgrade would be
>> > appreciated

[snip]

> Out of interest, I've just upgraded my RPCEmu089/519 installation from
> the 16-Jul-12 ROM image, to the current one, 29-Oct-12. After replacing
> the ROM image, I re-booted and found that the screen configuration no
> longer worked (the config application could see the MDF, but would not
> save the settings). This persuaded me to install the boot sequence from
> the current HardDisc4 download, and then copy over the choices folders
> and several files, as needed, from the old boot. It was necessary to re-
> configure the internet connection. All's well that ends well, but I
> wouldn't like to do it every day!

Nor me. I favour the 'ain't bust, don't need fixing' approach to
upgrades, but in this case, of course, it (Photodesk) is bust. If I
could be sure that upgrading to 5.19 would persuade it to work, I
would do it. I understand also that 5.19 offers benefits over
preceding 5.xx versions such as networking and internet (but not HD4
support)?

George
--
george greenfield