[Rpcemu] 0.8.10/5.20: MIPS readout oddity

george greenfield george.greenfield at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Aug 22 11:24:07 PDT 2013

In message <7860227f53.old_coaster at old_coaster.yahoo.co.uk>
          Tony Moore <old_coaster at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 22 Aug 2013, george greenfield <george.greenfield at tiscali.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> 0810/520 has gone pop: on about 75% of bootups I get 'Bad opcode 14
>> 41435452 at 2019FC20'
>
> Does that mean that 25% start-ups are OK?

Roughly speaking, yes, but it's impossible to know beforehand if any
given startup will fail or not: 0810/520 recompiler mode is completely
unpredictable in its present state.

[snip]

> The utility Where should be copied into !Boot.Library . To call it, just
> type where at the star-prompt, and press return.
Cheers.

> If that doesn't yield and useful information, you could install Reporter
> and set it to monitor Boot. However, rather than trying to locate the
> problem, it might be quicker to start again, with a new installation.

Indeed. But even before the booting/networking problems,
NetFetch/MessengerPro was not working properly (freezing the system
before displaying incoming mail), NetSurf was taking 90 seconds to
load (though working fine once loaded), and I was getting intermittent
'Bad Opcode' errors. Oh, and Photodesk would not run from HostFS.

Having moved my working directory to 0810/520's HostFS, when I needed
to move it back to 089/402 it was not visible either over the network
from another RO machine or under Windows: the only directories visible
were those originally installed in the virgin HostFS (Internet,
Monitors, Network, Printing and Utilities). I solved that problem by
moving the work directory into Utilities and moving it from there. I
should add that I didn't use the Windows installer to set up 0810/520.

None of these issues arises with 089/402. So whilst 0810/520 is
measurably faster (30-50& depending on process) and doesn't suffer
from the 28MB limit, in terms of a fully-useable and stable system it
hasn't really cut it, on the basis of my experience to date. Apart
from the apps mentioned above I'm running all the usual stuff here,
TechWriter, Artworks, Thump, Variations, OvationPro, nothing exotic,
and am using RISC OS to do actual work against actual deadlines(!).
And I do have a networked Iyonix....

Sorry for the rather rambling post, but hopefully it's all 'grist to
the mill'.

George
--
george greenfield