[Rpcemu] 0.8.10/5.20: MIPS readout oddity

george greenfield george.greenfield at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Aug 23 01:36:27 PDT 2013

In message <5a70717f53.old_coaster at old_coaster.yahoo.co.uk>
          Tony Moore <old_coaster at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 22 Aug 2013, george greenfield <george.greenfield at tiscali.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Indeed. But even before the booting/networking problems,
>> NetFetch/MessengerPro was not working properly (freezing the system
>> before displaying incoming mail),
>
> Here, MPro/Hermes seems to be OK, on 0810/520. I'm using it now.

What versions are you using? Mine are rather elderly.

>> NetSurf was taking 90 seconds to load
>
> NS 1258 loads in 7 seconds.

I do have a lot of fonts - approx. 120 individual font directories -
but NS 1305 on 089/402 loads equally quickly.

> [snip]
>
>> Having moved my working directory to 0810/520's HostFS, when I needed
>> to move it back to 089/402 it was not visible either over the network
>> from another RO machine or under Windows:
>
> Windows Explorer couldn't see it?

No. It was a 'clean' install, i.e., I created a new installation
rather than upgrading my existing 0810/519 version.

> [snip]
>
>> I didn't use the Windows installer to set up 0810/520.
>
> Nor did I.

Nor I.

> [snip]
>
>> Apart from the apps mentioned above I'm running all the usual stuff
>> here, TechWriter, Artworks, Thump, Variations, OvationPro, nothing
>> exotic, and am using RISC OS to do actual work
>
> I mainly use my RiscPC, but switch to RPCEmu, for its speed, when
> editing DataPower files, etc.

Indeed. Apart from benchmarks such as !Firebench and !RoMark, RPCEmu
is nearly twice as fast as the Iyonix displaying complex tables in
NetSurf e.g.
http://www.navweaps.com/index_nathan/Penetration_Britain.htm which takes just under 20 secs under 089/402 and about 35 secs on the Iyo (similar vintage of NS in both cases, javascript disabled). OTOH running a 12-JPEG slideshow in !Thump with zero display time selected takes 53 secs under /402, 37 secs under /520 and 34 secs on the Iyo (a  demonstration of the benefits of hardware acceleration, presumably).

> [snip]
>
>> Sorry for the rather rambling post, but hopefully it's all 'grist to
>> the mill'.
>
> Sorry to hear of the problems.

I'll get to grips with 0810/520 at some point, but whereas /402 is a
genuine 'hardware replacement' option here, the jury's still out on
/520 despite its advantages.

George
--
george greenfield