[Rpcemu] 0.8.10/5.20: MIPS readout oddity

Tony Moore old_coaster at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 23 02:50:44 PDT 2013

On 23 Aug 2013, george greenfield <george.greenfield at tiscali.co.uk>
wrote:
> In message <5a70717f53.old_coaster at old_coaster.yahoo.co.uk>
>           Tony Moore <old_coaster at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> > Here, MPro/Hermes seems to be OK, on 0810/520. I'm using it now.
>
> What versions are you using? Mine are rather elderly.

RPCEmu is currently using MPro 6.06, Hermes 2.62 (I'm now typing this on
my RiscPC, which has later versons).

[snip]

> > > Having moved my working directory to 0810/520's HostFS, when I
> > > needed to move it back to 089/402 it was not visible either over
> > > the network from another RO machine or under Windows:
> >
> > Windows Explorer couldn't see it?
>
> No. It was a 'clean' install, i.e., I created a new installation
> rather than upgrading my existing 0810/519 version.

Your working directory is in HostFS, which is a Windows folder. I read
your first comment, above, to mean that Windows could not see one of its
own (un-hidden) folders. If you need to move the work folder again, it's
likely to be faster to do so via the Windows filer.

[snip]

> I'll get to grips with 0810/520 at some point, but whereas /402 is a
> genuine 'hardware replacement' option here, the jury's still out on
> /520 despite its advantages.

I wonder if the dodgy start-up was caused by RPCEmu not emulating the
StrongARM CPU. I've found that attempting to use ARM750 causes boot to
fail. My 0810/520 rpc.cfg file contains

   model = RPCSA
   bridgename = rpcemu
   mouse_twobutton = 0
   network_type = ethernetbridging
   mouse_following = 1
   cdrom_type = 0
   cdrom_enabled = 0
   refresh_rate = 60
   stretch_mode = 1
   sound_enabled = 1
   vram_size = 2
   cpu_type = SA110
   mem_size = 256
   cpu_idle = 1

However, in view of Peter's recent caution, maybe you need to reduce
mem-size to 128, although 256 seems to work here.

Tony