Upcall handler

John Tytgat John.Tytgat at aaug.net
Sun Dec 16 16:12:33 PST 2001

In message <0eb366e94a.peter at moo.chocky.org>

> In message <6dceade84a.peter at moo.chocky.org>
>           Peter Naulls <peter at chocky.org> wrote:
>
> > In message <b7baede44a.Jo at village.uunet.be>
> >           John Tytgat <John.Tytgat at aaug.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Does someone know what the ANSIlib is doing in its handler code ? It just
> > > occured to me that this (no longer supported) lib is in the same situation
> > > as UnixLib.
> >
> > I had a look last night.  It appears to do something very similar to
> > UnixLib.  It's not clear what conclusions you might draw from this.
>
> Futher investigation reveals that an ANSILib binary can be made to lock
> the machine in the same circumstances.  This is somewhat unhelpful of
> course.

Indeed but it more or less confirms that we're dealing with a problem in
RISC OS itself.  Something we longtime suspected, isn't it ?

>   I'm going to investigate having a support module.

Cool ! But don't underestimate the work.

BTW, apart from the work needed to get a UnixLib module going, there are
lots of core reworks possible in UnixLib to fix other current issues.
Like: unique temporary filename generation across multiple processes,
working timer code in TaskWindow module, etc.