Upcall handler

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Mon Dec 17 05:56:30 PST 2001

In message <m3lmg29ekb.fsf at nick.ws.noc.dsvr.net>
          Nick Burrett <nick at dsvr.net> wrote:

> This sounds entirely reasonably.  I don't think we can rely on
> patches to RISC OS to fix this, so the SharedUnixLibrary module
> would be the best approach.  It's also a good starting point for
> gradually moving bits of common code into RMA.

When people are thinking about adding things, just bear the following in
mind:

 - Consider backwards/forwards module API compatibility implications.

 - You can't link C code with the module, unless it doesn't access any
   static data.  Still, I think this is probably true of a significant part of
   UnixLib.  At least until GCC can handle modules.

Regarding drlink, it adds some junk at the end of the module, and
complains (not sure whether validly) about lack of an entry point.
drlink link also doesn't do the ,xxx stuff - whether it should or not is
another question; as this is currently done by ld.  Certainly ld doesn't
know about setting ,ffa extension for modules; some rearrangement of the
filename handling would be required for it to do so (module flag might
appear after the filename).

Peter

 Peter Naulls - peter at chocky.org
 RISC OS Projects Initiative  -  http://www.chocky.org/initiative/