-msoft-float

Peter Naulls peter at erble.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jun 5 08:46:11 PDT 2001

In message <Pine.LNX.4.21.0106051622400.18852-100000 at localhost.localdomain>
          David Boddie <davidb at mcs.st-and.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 5 Jun 2001, Nick Burrett wrote:
>
> > David Boddie <davidb at mcs.st-and.ac.uk> writes:
> >
> > > I am interested in using the -msoft-float switch with gcc, but the
> > > "gccuser" document indicates that this requires a suitable library to be
> > > present, and that the libgcc library needs to be recompiled using this
> > > option.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know if it is possible to create RISC OS binaries with this
> > > option? Is there a pre-existing set of libraries which are suitable for
> > > this task?
> >
> > It is possible to do this, but it has never been fully tested.  However,
> > I don't see the advantage of doing this, since code size will be bigger
> > and the software floating point libraries are much slower than the FPE.
>
> Can the latest version of gcc for RISC OS manage this?
>
> Is there a pre-compiled libgcc available from anywhere or will I have to
> build my own?

There might be some advantage of building it yourself anyway, on a handy
nearby unix system (tm).  This way you can experiement with the source
if you run into any problems.

> If I can get this up and running then I can compare soft-float performance
> against the FPE for my application and attempt to optimize it as required.

I'd be interested to hear of your findings.

Peter

 Peter Naulls - peter at erble.freeserve.co.uk
 RISC OS Projects Initiative  -  http://chocky.mine.nu/initiative/
 Java for RISC OS and ARM     -  http://www.java.riscos.org.uk/