Some fixes to the Unixlib time handling

Nick Burrett nick at dsvr.net
Mon Jun 11 01:00:14 PDT 2001

John Tytgat <John.Tytgat at aaug.net> writes:

> In message <01061021083301.01216 at Laptop>
>           Peter Teichmann <teich-p at Rcs1.urz.tu-dresden.de> wrote:
>
> > > - Maybe we should get rid of function parameter names beginning with an
> > >   underscore (see _kernel_osbyte()).  Remove the underscores ?
> >
> > Probably not a good idea, because it is also _kernel_osbyte in Acorns C
> > library. It has probably this name for compatibility reasons.
>
> There is a misunderstanding : I'm not talking about the underscore of
> the function name _kernel_osbyte() but of the underscores of its
> parameters : __operation, __x and __y (which I would change into e.g.
> operation, x and y).

It's not a good idea to do this.  Consider what happens if somebody defines
an macro called `operation', `x' or `y'. The double-underscores are used
to keep the parameters within the "C library" namespace.  IIRC it is
considered illegal in C to prepend functions/variables/macros with `__'
in user applications.

Nick.