Filetype setting on fopen

Stefan Bellon sbellon at sbellon.de
Tue Aug 6 04:18:18 PDT 2002

Ian Jeffray wrote:
> Nick Burrett wrote:

> > I'm assuming that index.html will be saved as "index" with the file
> > type set to 0xfaf, rather than as index.html with the file type
> > set to 0xfaf.

> I don't think that's a good idea.  It should still save it as
> "index/html" but also set the filetype. Reason being, if I save
> "index.html" from, say, nano running in RISC OS, I DO want the
> filename as "index/html" on disc... having the filetype set for me is
> just a nice bonus. Can I run through some examples of what I'd like
> to see:

> index.html        index/html  (faf - from mimemap)
> index.html        index/html  (fff - no mime file)
> index.foo         index/foo   (fff - mimetype lookup fails)
> index             index       (fff - no ext so no mime lookup)

I totally agree with Ian.

> The following requested by Alex but I don't know where they'd
> be used (it's AcornNFS server-side notation, not for unixlib
> apps to be generating names like this)

> index.html,abc    index/html  (abc - explicit filetype override mime)
> index,abc         index       (abc - explicit filetype)

I thought __riscosify() already has code to handle this?

> > We could use this feature to fix the other silly GCC features of
> > saving AOF/ALF files as text files.

> Possibly... but I doubt anyone will have/want ".o -> ffd" mapping in
> their MimeMap, so maybe if a mime lookup fails, we have some simple
> internal tables to add on rules like that?

What's wrong with .o files having text filetype? Is there a problem
other than a cosmetic one?

--
 Stefan Bellon * <mailto:sbellon at sbellon.de> * <http://www.sbellon.de/>
 PGP 2 and OpenPGP keys available from my home page

 This sentance has threee errors