Filetype setting on fopen

Tony van der Hoff tony at mk-net.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 7 04:59:19 PDT 2002

On 6 Aug 2002, in message <3D4FB46B.9020504 at dsvr.net>,
Nick Burrett <nick at dsvr.net> wrote:

> Stefan Bellon wrote:
> > Ian Jeffray wrote:
> >>

> >>Possibly... but I doubt anyone will have/want ".o -> ffd" mapping in
> >>their MimeMap, so maybe if a mime lookup fails, we have some simple
> >>internal tables to add on rules like that?
> >

> > What's wrong with .o files having text filetype? Is there a problem
> > other than a cosmetic one?

Yes. If the file is written over LanMan98 to (say) a linux box, it would get
either no type extension, or ,fff, both of which are different to ,ffd.

I have, for instance, many .cvsignore files specifying *,ffd. There are other
possible tests, so it's not a *problem* as such, but it makes it necessary to
introduce special cases. Not nice.

> Obviously a few people have now got used to the object files having a  text
> filetype.  But in the past, I got so many complaints about it ...

Well, I'd complain, but ... ;-)  Instead I just SetType them in my MakeFiles.

Tony van der Hoff         | MailTo:tony at mk-net.demon.co.uk
Buckinghamshire, England  | http:www.mk-net.demon.co.uk