General linking question

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Wed Aug 28 06:58:20 PDT 2002

In message <4b6d18f8aesbellon at sbellon.de>
          Stefan Bellon <sbellon at sbellon.de> wrote:

> Ah, got it! I thought one could use "link -aof" and "drlink -aof" for
> creating those libraries. If I use either of those, then I get the
> problems I explained. If I use libfile or makealf, then it works like
> you explained.
>
> I wasn't aware that link and drlink with the -aof switch produce
> something different.

I did wonder a bit when you first said your object file was a library.

> Ok, but now I have a problem: How do I create a new library from a few
> other libraries? With (dr)link -aof you could link together files that
> have already been linked with (dr)link -aof. You cannot do the same with
> libfile or makealf. You get:
>
> AOF Librarian:  (Error)  Bad library member oldlib.

I've never seen this.  OpenSSH (for one) does this (albeit using the ar
frontend instead).  It would help if you showed us the complete commmand
line.

 Peter Naulls - peter at chocky.org
 Homepage                     -  http://www.chocky.org/
 RISC OS C Programming        -  http://www.riscos.info/