General linking question

Stefan Bellon sbellon at sbellon.de
Wed Aug 28 09:05:34 PDT 2002

Peter Naulls wrote:
> In message <4b6d2784casbellon at sbellon.de>
>           Stefan Bellon <sbellon at sbellon.de> wrote:

> > It works and the gpg executable is 744K in size.
> >
> > Can this still be improved?

> Probably not, but I've seen instances where hundreds of unused
> functions have been dragged in by using -aof to create a "library"
> instead when I had previous problems with Libfile.  When libfile was
> fixed, the final binary was reduced by many 100ks of K.

Yes, I understand.

I didn't necessarily mean "size" when talking about improvement. The
UnixLib and the object file that contains the main() function need to
be separate. There's no sensible way to bring them together in one file?

--
 Stefan Bellon * <mailto:sbellon at sbellon.de> * <http://www.sbellon.de/>
 PGP 2 and OpenPGP keys available from my home page

 ... A)bort R)etry G)et a stick and kill it.