General linking question

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Thu Aug 29 02:14:18 PDT 2002

In message <200208282119.49896.T.E.Baldwin99 at members.leeds.ac.uk>
          Timothy Baldwin <T.E.Baldwin99 at members.leeds.ac.uk> wrote:

> > Yes, that's how I do it at present. But in order to keep the RISC OS
> > source as close as possible to the mainstream source it would be easier
> > if it worked otherwise.
>
> The beavhiour of (static) libraries on RISC OS is fully compatiable with unix.

I'm afraid it's not.  In fact, it's more compatible in many
circumstances with the behaviour on OS/2.  I'm referring here to symbols
defined in multiple object files, which occurs occasionally in unix
sources.  More often than not, they have OS/2 #if wrappers to account
for its behaviour.

Finally, Unix uses the archive format and RISC OS uses ALF, so to say
they're compatible is pushing things a little.

 Peter Naulls - peter at chocky.org
 Homepage                     -  http://www.chocky.org/
 RISC OS C Programming        -  http://www.riscos.info/
 Unix Programs on RISC OS     -  http://www.chocky.org/unix/