GCC development status 2002-12-15

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Sun Dec 15 06:52:21 PST 2002

In message <3DFC9145.7060406 at dsvr.net>
          Nick Burrett <nick at dsvr.net> wrote:

> fair number of math functions, but there is still much to do.  I expect
> that UnixLib improvements are going to take most of the time and are
> most likely to be the major part in a delay to the compiler release.

Indeed.  However, from my own work, and stuff that Alex and John have
been doing, I think it's reasonably clear what work has to be done.  I
do forsee us pulling more bits of glibc in, simply because that "just
works".

> difference between the core and the RISC OS version is the requirement
> for addressing local variables as positive offsets against 'sp'.  The
> GCC core uses negative offsets against 'fp'.

I seem to recall that this change meant that chunked stacks became
difficult/impossible.  I think Alex can better comment on this.

> set of GNAT tools and binaries that can be executed to generate RISC OS
> executables.  Though I haven't built my first Ada application yet.

This is excellent news too, if only because of CDBurn :-)

> Java: I'm not sure what to do about this.  I don't know enough about
> Java to comment on its suitability on RISC OS.  I'd expect it to require
>   months of work to integrate correctly with the operating system.  I
> don't expect to have the required time to complete such a project.

Don't worry too much about it.  As long as it successfully builds, then
someone with enthusiasm can take it on.  For someone with less
experience of these things, getting things to build can be quite
difficult, whilst minor changes to make things work sometimes quite
simple.

> I hope this information is useful to you.  Comments/suggestions are welcome.

Any future version should of course target 32-bit APCS by default, as
per my 32-bit 2.95.4 GCC.

Cheers, Peter

 Peter Naulls - peter at chocky.org
 Homepage                     -  http://www.chocky.org/