GCC development status 2002-12-15

Nicholas Clark nick at unfortu.net
Sun Dec 15 07:42:39 PST 2002

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 02:27:17PM +0000, Nick Burrett wrote:
> often find that your base Ada compiler is just not good enough.  I'm
> currently developmenting the GCCSDK on RedHat 8.0.  I've had to patch
> the Ada source tree in order to get the compiler built.

If you don't need the UTF8 locales that RedHat 8.0 defaults to, I'd suggest
changing them to something 8 bit, particularly if you or things you run are
using the perl which RedHat 8.0 supplies. The UTF8 locales, as intended, cause
perl 5.8 to automatically use the full UTF8 regexp runtime, which is quite a
bit slower than the 8 bit runtime, and has a couple of obscure bugs that have
caused a couple of people problems, even on 7 bit ASCII strings. (It's code
where the first match that uses a regexp construction that relies on Unicode
data happens to be on the captured result of a previous match. Obscure, but
one of the Linux kernel build scripts does this)

> Be aware that the GCC 3.3 compiler is much slower than GCC 2.95.4.  So
> much so, that it forced me to upgrade my ageing PII-266 laptop for a P4
> 1.8Mhz laptop just so I could get the SDK built in a reasonable time.
> There is continuing work on the GCC core lists to try to improve compile
> time performance, but this is not clear cut and looks like it will take
> many years.

This isn't really on topic for this list, but is there a consensus summary
of why 3.3 is so much slower?

Nicholas Clark