GCC 3.3 status

Nick Burrett nick at dsvr.net
Sun Dec 21 10:19:55 PST 2003

Today I committed a a small set of patches which I hope have finally
cleared up all the code-generation problems that have been plaguing the
compiler for a long time now.

Typically at the time I decided to test GCC on my RISC PC, the hard
drive finally gave up the go.  This doesn't matter too much as the whole
system can usefully run under RedSquirrel on Wine.  GCC 3.3 is a very
slow compiler.  It look 10 minutes to compile the C++ hello world
application, which is simply:

    #include <iostream>

    int main (void)
    {
      std::cout << "Hello World" << std::endl;
      return 0;
    }

RedSquirrel reports an operational speed of 16 MIPS.  I also ran out of
RAM trying to compile this program on the RISC PC -- it has 18Mb.  I
would be interested to see how things fair on a native machine.

I'll see if things can be speeded up, but I don't hold out much hope.

Recently I extended 'libscl' the stubs and header files for the
SharedCLibrary to include additional functions that enable C++
applications to be compiled to use the SharedCLibrary rather than
UnixLib.  It shaves about 200Kb off the executable size.

Nick.