Working ELF GCC

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Mon Oct 6 02:16:41 PDT 2003

In message <3F812F8D.7080100 at dsvr.net>
          Nick Burrett <nick at dsvr.net> wrote:

> Peter Naulls wrote:
> > See: http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact834.html
> > And: http://www.riscos.info/gcc/32bit.html
> >
> > Don't forget to read the notes.
> >
> > Although there are obvious short term problems, this proves the
> > concept, and I suggest we move all GCCSDK development to ELF based ASAP
> > - especially since we aren't currently looking at any kind of release
> > for GCC 3.3.
>
> I disagree.  The thing holding up GCC 3.3 is a bug in the symbol/area
> creation in 'as'.  Actually fixing this is quite difficult without an
> AOF dumper.

Indeed - but going to ELF would side step these problems.   As for an
AOF dumper - do you have access to DecAOF in Acorn C/C++?  IF there's a
minimal case, then someone else could have a look at it.

Additionally, on 30th July, you referred to a code generation bug with
alloca - what is the status of this?

The reason I suggest we are a way from a release is that we have yet to
produce a working GCC 3.3 in RISC OS :-|