Debugging help needed ...

Martin Wuerthner martin at mw-software.com
Thu Sep 18 10:21:40 PDT 2003

In message <dfece1324c.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>

> In message <4c31675fbcsbellon at sbellon.de>
>           Stefan Bellon <sbellon at sbellon.de> wrote:
>
> > Martin Wuerthner wrote:
> > > In message <4c2bbf4142sbellon at sbellon.de>
> > >           Stefan Bellon <sbellon at sbellon.de> wrote:
> >
> > [snip]

> > > Which version of Norcroft did you use? You could have fallen foul of
> > > the shrinkwrap optimisation bug. You need either 5.39 or below or use
> > > the magic shrinkwrap disabling option.
> >
> > I was using 5.53. What's this bug and how do I disable the shrinkwrap
> > optimization?
> >
> > Perhaps a Reply-To: to my email address because of off-topic reasons
> > for this mailing list?
>
> I don't think this information is off-topic.  The Norcroft Makefile
> generated by gen-makefiles.pl enforces a minimal CC version 5.53. The
> only reason why I did this is because it was the only 5.xx version I
> used to compile and test UnixLib.  If this setup results in triggering
> compiler errors, then I would like to know a workaround too so I can
> update Makefile.in.

5.55 (built in May) has a fix for the shrinkwrap bug, but the latest
public release is still 5.53. Personally, I found 5.39 to be the most
stable version of cc. It was the result of many bug fixes and was the last
version before a lot of major new features were added. This information is
not of much use as this was one of the 32-bit (officially "beta")
compilers that are difficult to get hold of nowadays.

So, you can safely lower the requirement to 5.39 at least.

I found 5.53 with -zpq262144 (disable shrinkwrap) to be very stable, too.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner          MW Software          martin at mw-software.com