ALF support in NM

David Marston david at illudium.org.uk
Mon Sep 22 14:52:24 PDT 2003

In message <bbe407364c.peter at chocky.org>

> In message <5fda03364c.john at planet3.freeuk.com>
>           John Duffell <jwd104 at york.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > The reason I'm looking is that I've been having a look at Kaffe and although
> > it compiles alright the gnu ltdl shared library system needs to be able to
> > run nm on the ALF produced by "ar cru" (and get a BSD compatible output,
> > whatever that is).
>
> No, it just needs to be able to run some tool to get some symbols out
> of it.  Are you aware that work has already been done on Kaffe? David
> Marston and I submitted some stuff to Kaffe some months ago which is in
> CVS.

Just slipping off-topic slightly more. It basically needs persuading to
use something else (libfile IIRC) and then to interpret the output
correctly. I did this the hard way, I think Peter's UPP tools may do it
in a more reusable way that would help other things that use libltdl.

I have still been working on Kaffe (slowly) so I've got some
improvements that aren't in Kaffe CVS yet, but I don't think it's
running any more successfully than the version on Peter's download page
yet. (I think I understand the issues with it now after a lot of
playing, just need to work out how to fix them)

BTW which gcc version are you using John? If it's the current CVS
version with current CVS Kaffe you'll have some issues linking anyway.

On-topic, I'll try to have a look at why nm is giving a segmentation
fault anyway since it shouldn't really be doing that.

David Marston
david at illudium.org.uk