riscosify() and guess_or_null()

John Tytgat John.Tytgat at aaug.net
Tue Sep 30 12:12:55 PDT 2003

In message <3F798FB4.7030205 at dsvr.net>
          Nick Burrett <nick at dsvr.net> wrote:

> How about changing CVS to encode its filenames using an algorithm
> similar to base 64 but only including the upper/lowercase chars and
> digits :-)

Hehe.

The most important thing for the CVS port is that whatever Unix filename
should be translated into a valid RISC OS filename (and I don't really
care if Unix dots are becoming something else) by riscosify() and that
this RISC OS filename gets translated to the *same* Unix filename by
unixify().  If that doesn't work, you will get CVS errors the sooner
or later.  Wishing to support sfix makes things 'interesting' but very
much appreciated for tracking open source code.

BTW, an issue still remaining in the riscosify() and unixify() routines is
the __filename_char_map table because several Unix chars are mapped
to the same RISC OS char (i.e. '_').  A potentional solution would be
the use of an escape character (probably '/' ?) followed by a hex
representation of the Unix char.  Some day...

Jo.