UnixLib and the GPL

Christian Ludlam chris at recoil.org
Wed Jun 9 09:37:47 PDT 2004

On 9 Jun Nick Burrett wrote:

> John Tytgat wrote:

> > True, that's my experience too.  But I was thinking to support at
> > least the standard RISC OS encodings to/from UTF-8 and if an additional
> > iconv RISC OS module is present, most (all ?) other iconv encodings could
> > be supported too.  With shared libraries this wouldn't be necessary.

> I had thought about this some time ago and had considered and partially
> implemented such a facility.  Then I heard that RISC OS was going to get
> internationalisation support, so I decided to not bother with this
> avenue until that was complete.  Otherwise we'd probably end up with two
> incompatible systems.

> I don't know whether it is still the intention of RISC OS to get UTF-8
> or UTF-16 support, or maybe I just had a bad dream one night.

RISC OS 5's Font Manager can plot in UTF8/UTF16 strings, but the system font
can't yet. The Territory module (Territory_Collate et al) will provide
UTF8/UTF16 string routines once it's written, and character set conversion is
already available for installed alphabets (in RISC OS 5 at least) using
Service_International 8 - for simple 256 character encodings. Further
character set support is available using the Unicode library that comes with
Castle's C compiler.

ZapRedraw supports multiple encodings and can plot in UTF8/UTF16 :)

--
Christian Ludlam
chris at recoil.org