DDEUtils/Font_FindFont interaction

John Tytgat John.Tytgat at aaug.net
Wed Mar 17 12:06:23 PST 2004

In message <b747f6864c.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>

> In message <ca63e5864c.peter at chocky.org>
>           Peter Naulls <peter at chocky.org> wrote:
>
> > In message <390bd5864c.peter at chocky.org>
> >           Peter Naulls <peter at chocky.org> wrote:
> >
> > > It seems that the recent changes to Unixlib to with "@" given to
> > > DDEUtils in Unixlib cause Font_FindFont to fail with "<path> is a
> > > directory".  Where <path> is the CSD.  Note that this only occurs for
> > > fonts that aren't previously cached.
> >
> > It's been pointed out that this was discussed in January in the
> > "Possible pre-main or unixlib problem" thread; however, without
> > resolution.
>
> It has been identified as a problem in DDEUtils and fixed in the upcoming
> RISC OS Adjust release.  I haven't found the time yet to try out the trivial
> workaround by canonicalising "@" into a full path and use the result instead.
> I *think* that should work as workaround.

Update: there is IMHO no workaround possible.  The problem is in DDEUtils
path handling.  I can confirm that RISC OS Adjust has this problem fixed.
On the other hand, I feel this problem is more important than it is worth
so I've commented out the setting of DDEUtils_Prefix at the beginning
of each process if it is not defined (unixlib/source/unix.c).  Program
builders are free to enable it when they are sure they won't be bitten
by this problem, i.e. the program is only run with fixed DDEUtils versions,
or the program is not using path variables either directly or indirectly.