UnixLib regex implementation

John-Mark Bell jmb202 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Aug 25 15:12:35 PDT 2005

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, John-Mark Bell wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, John Tytgat wrote:
>
> > > b) The implementation is theoretically wide-character aware, but my
> > >    changes have removed this support.
> >
> > Just curious : what was the reason to remove the wide-character support ?
>
> My lack of knowledge about wchar related issues. I erred on the safe side
> and simply used standard 8bit chars.

Further to this (and it's blindingly obvious, if you think about it); the
POSIX regex API is defined as using 8bit chars. Therefore, the loss of
wchar support isn't so much of an issue.

If we do wish to have support for a regex API using wide characters, then
we could probably do something along the lines of this:

  http://www.boost.org/libs/regex/doc/posix_api.html

and build 2 copies of the regex code (with differing function names and
regcustom.h files). Either way, I'd still like to use this implementation
for the POSIX API, given UnixLib's existing one is so slow.

Thoughts?