Article on Unixlib

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Wed Jan 5 06:59:53 PST 2005

In message <3069.213.122.15.41.1104936488.squirrel at 213.122.15.41>
          "Nick Burrett" <nick at sqrt.co.uk> wrote:

> Peter Naulls said:
> > In message <3e707d284d.peter at chocky.org>
> >           Peter Naulls <peter at chocky.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I don't think there's any meaningful limit on the number; but problems
> >> arise when a program indicates that a DA may expand considerably.  You
> >> can then exhaust physical address space quickly.
> >                    ^^^^^^^^
> > Logical, of course.
>
> Presumably if we all had a copy of Clare's Virtualise software, then this
> would be a non-issue.

No, this is barking up the wrong tree. Adding more physical memory to a
machine is cheap and easy.   The problem is that on a RiscPC, there is
only so much logical address space which is both available for Dynamic
Areas and suitable for running code in.  Virtualise only solves the
problem of effectively making more physical memory to apply to this
area.