Sunfish with GCC

John-Mark Bell jmb202 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jul 1 13:02:15 PDT 2005

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Peter Naulls wrote:

> In message <51585f834d.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>
>           John Tytgat <John.Tytgat at aaug.net> wrote:
>
> > I believe I also built a working JetDirectFS module (http://www.sbellon.de/)
> > but that needs confirmation by Stefan.  His RemotePrinterFS module however
> > crashes during module initialisation (or maybe service call).  So that
> > needs more investigation. :-/
> >
> > Any other module src suggestions for smoke testing the GCC module support ?
>
> Fantastic.

Fantastic indeed. I've just tried building Iconv with it and all appears
fine. My attempts with previous versions produced code which exploded with
the PC in the module workspace.

I wonder whether it would be worth knocking together a contrived test
module that makes use of:

* Start/Initialisation/Finalisation/Service Call/SWI handler/SWI
  decoding code /*-command handler entry points

* Callbacks (OS_AddCallBack/CallEvery)

* Vector claiming (both hardware and software)

* IRQ handling

* Anything else I've forgotten.

For cross-compilation, a suitable replacement for cmhg is probably needed
- at present, I'm simply copying the output .o file across, which is
hardly the most practical solution ;)

One other minor thing; it would be nice if the output binary when
cross-compiling a module has ",ffa" appended to the name, rather than
",ff8".  This is purely an aesthetic thing (although it can be handy if
you've got the output directory mounted over NFS or somesuch). Presently,
I've worked around this by sticking a "mv $(TARGET),ff8 $(TARGET),ffa"
line in the makefile.