Missing /home/riscos/cross/include when building CVS head; qemu & ,ff8

Theo Markettos theo at markettos.org.uk
Fri Jul 22 02:19:10 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 09:23:51AM +0100, Peter Naulls wrote:
> In message <7e7e3e8e4d.peter at chocky.org>
>           Peter Naulls <peter at chocky.org> wrote:
>
> > I think this could probably be fixed by patching autoconf, which knows
> > for example to look for .exe under cygwin.  I did send them a patch at
> > one point, but I didn't write a ChangeLog entry for them, so it didn't
> > get put it, and my wrapper scripts ended up solving pretty much
> > everything this would have fixed, so I didn't pursue it.

That doesn't necessarily help builds that run intermediate programs outside
autoconf though.  AIUI autoconf doesn't do anything special under Cygwin
since it's bash/Cygwin that knows if I run 'foo' the executable is at
$PATH/foo.exe  (I wonder if VMS has the same problem and what it does?)

One idea is for a switch on the compiler to spit out a symlink ./foo to
./foo,ff8 This depends on whether the OS/filesystem supports symlinks (does
Cygwin?  FAT32 on Linux doesn't).

Another might be to make --enable-filetype-ff8 also controlled by a runtime
compiler switch -mappend-filetype (does GCC now append ,ffa for modules?)
then pass a flag --ro-runnable into /home/riscos/env/ro-* to add
-mno-append-filetype.  But you lose the ability to run executables over an
NFS mount.

> I've checked in a patch so that drlink sets the executable bits on AIF
> files.

Thanks.

Theo