Missing /home/riscos/cross/include when building CVS head; qemu & ,ff8

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Fri Jul 22 03:29:26 PDT 2005

In message <20050722091909.GB7356 at chiark.greenend.org.uk>
          Theo Markettos <theo at markettos.org.uk> wrote:

> That doesn't necessarily help builds that run intermediate programs outside
> autoconf though.  AIUI autoconf doesn't do anything special under Cygwin
> since it's bash/Cygwin that knows if I run 'foo' the executable is at
> $PATH/foo.exe  (I wonder if VMS has the same problem and what it does?)

You need to replace stat, fopen, et al, like we do in UnixLib for
filehandling.  This is possible with a preload library in a similar way
that things like ElectricFence work.  I suspect this might be the best
solution.  Among other things, this would allow the execute bit to be
set RISC OS executables automagically if it wasn't already.

> One idea is for a switch on the compiler to spit out a symlink ./foo to
> ./foo,ff8 This depends on whether the OS/filesystem supports symlinks (does
> Cygwin?  FAT32 on Linux doesn't).

This would cause programs under NFS mounts with filenames being mapped
to the name thing.

> Another might be to make --enable-filetype-ff8 also controlled by a runtime
> compiler switch -mappend-filetype (does GCC now append ,ffa for modules?)

The appending is actually up to drlink/ld, but yes, it does.

> then pass a flag --ro-runnable into /home/riscos/env/ro-* to add
> -mno-append-filetype.  But you lose the ability to run executables over an
> NFS mount.

I think this will require too much hacking of various build systems.