Missing /home/riscos/cross/include when building CVS head; qemu & ,ff8

Nick Burrett nick at sqrt.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 08:01:38 PDT 2005

Quoting Theo Markettos <theo at markettos.org.uk>:

> Just checked out a clean copy of CVS head and trying to build it, it seems
> it's failing to put anything in /home/riscos/cross/include with the
> resulting failure that the cross compiler can't find its include files:
>
> make[2]: Entering directory
> /home/atm26/riscos/gccsdk-noff8/gccsdk/unixlib/source'
> /home/riscos/cross/bin//gcc -O2 -DTARGET_RISCOSAOF -mpoke-function-name
> -D__UNIXLIB_INTERNALS -std=c99 -pedantic -Wall -Wundef -Wpointer-arith
> -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Winline -Wno-unused -W -Wcast-qual -Wshadow
> -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
> -Wnested-externs -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -std=c99 -o
> /home/atm26/riscos/gccsdk-noff8/gccsdk/arm-riscos-aof/unixlib/apcs32/abs/unixlib/assert/assert.o
> -c assert/assert.c -isystem clib -I incl-local -munixlib -mno-module
> In file included from clib/stdio.h:34,
>                 from assert/assert.c:15:
> clib/stdarg.h:14:25: stdarg.h: No such file or directory

I always thought this happened because you hadn't typed "make setup" ?

> In other news, I've been playing with qemu.  Seems to do what it says on the
> tin, and works quite well.  One question: currently the porting tools expect
> the cross compiler to spit
> out executables with ,ff8 on the end.  This is fine, except they don't have
> the executable permission set.  Also build trees (like autoconf), when they
> compile a test program/intermediate program, run ./foo rather than ./foo,ff8
> so fail to find the binary.  This could be solved by having another copy of
> gcc built without --enable-filetype-ff8 and patching it to set the
> executable flag, but I wondered if there was a neater way?

I did some initial work on this in QEMU.  If you look in the function
'main', you'll notice a comment about filetype handling.  Turning this
on will add RISC OS filetypes to filenames, handed in most part by the
FileSwitch class, i.e. the ,ff8 that you desire.  However there are a
couple of inconsistency issues here, inparticular the autoconf scripts
that you mention, though I think I did try to work around this by
looking for the filename with/without a filetype.