GCC 3.4.5 release plans

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Mon Jul 25 04:23:01 PDT 2005

In message <6234f88f4d.Steve at s.w.ellacott.ntlworld.com>
          Steve Ellacott <s.w.ellacott at brighton.ac.uk> wrote:

> In message <a9a3f18f4d.peter at chocky.org>
>           Peter Naulls <peter at chocky.org> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
> > be a major change, since it'll be ELF-based, and with a little luck,
> > also support shared libraries.  I'm hoping Lee Noar will help me soon on
> > integrating his work on this into UnixLib.
> >
> Does this mean we will get dll support? This would be useful as the
> yacas plugin interface uses this.

DLLs by themselves are only so useful, and only imply dynamic loading of
code, but this functionality is required to implemented shared
libraries.  You might like to read a drobe article I've done on the
topic.

http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact827.html
http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact1253.html

Of course, under Windows, DLLs are shared libraries, but it's important
to say precisely what we mean.