GCC 3.4.5 release plans

John Tytgat John.Tytgat at aaug.net
Mon Jul 25 12:36:32 PDT 2005

In message <8dac19904d.peter at chocky.org>

> In message <42E513F9.6030509 at alexwaugh.com>
>           Alex Waugh <alex at alexwaugh.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure how much effort it is to update and release 3.4.x releases,
> >   but unless this is to fix specific bugs that affect us then I'd rather
> > see the effort be spent on new features, e.g. shared libraries.
>
> Applying the latest patches from GCC CVS is pretty staightforward, and
> of course there's a little bit of effort for the release itself.
> There's also AOF tool fixes that John's been doing that I'd like to get
> out before most of the focus shifts from 3.4/AOF.

I've a couple of other AOF related improvements queued up but given that
3.4.5 is scheduled for end September, so an anticipated GCCSDK 3.4.5
release 1 around, say, 3rd week of October sounds fine for me.

> But you're right of
> course, that's why I don't want to pursue it beyond this release.
>
> 3.4 currently has a largish number of bugs against it; most of them
> aren't serious and probably many don't affect us, but better safe than
> sorry - there's a big push to try and get them fixed before 3.4.5 is
> out.

Ok.

What I wouldn't mind is to see a little bit of overview what we can
expect to have right now with GCC 4.1 / ELF work what Nick did and what's
still expected to be done (and how we see it implemented).  Lots have
been said in the past but I fail to see the big picture ahead of us.
Peter, is that something you can outline for us ?