GCC 3.4.5 release plans

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Mon Jul 25 13:21:13 PDT 2005

In message <631f26904d.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>

> What I wouldn't mind is to see a little bit of overview what we can
> expect to have right now with GCC 4.1 / ELF work what Nick did and what's
> still expected to be done (and how we see it implemented).  Lots have
> been said in the past but I fail to see the big picture ahead of us.
> Peter, is that something you can outline for us ?

Ok, what I have here is a full cross build of the latest CVS which is
the version that is soon to be forked for pre-4.1 development.  This
tree also includes various parts of binutils, in a "cygwin tree".

There are a number of patches that I'd like to get upstream; if someone
wanted to take charge of the binutils patches, that'd be great.  They're
straightfoward and discrete.   GCC patches are more complex, and I
haven't really looked at the specific changes Nick has made yet,
although I imagine they're quite similar in functionality to the 3.x
changes.

My build is only presently for C/C++, but of course we would hope to add
Ada (I've suggested to Stefan he familarise himself with the relvant
parts to make sure it's all ok) and perhaps Objective-C.  I'm not really
sure if anyone's used Fortran on RISC OS any time in the recent past.
If it just appears to work, then that'll be included too.  I want to
include the Java stuff too, but that is probably more work, and that can
wait for 4.2 or so.

I haven't yet been able to build a native compiler, due to some obscure
warnings, but want to try again.  I haven't build too much with it yet,
but most stuff appears to work, apart from the floating point issue I
mentioned a little while ago.  I also had a seg fault compiling some of
the X libraries with optimisation on.   There are quite a number of
failures in the test suite.  I'm not sure which of these we need to take
notice of.

I hope that's enough to get started on.  There are a number of build
issues too, but I'll leave those for another time.