Philosophy and hardware (was: Re: GCC 3.4.5 release plans)

Theo Markettos theo at markettos.org.uk
Tue Jul 26 03:40:34 PDT 2005

[subject changed to avoid diluting the usefulness of the other thread]

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 11:04:19AM +0100, Peter Naulls wrote:
> I think you are getting confused by getting too bogged down in details,
> and perhaps being a bit too quick to come to conclusions before posting.
> libltdl (and nspr) can use precisely the same mechanism under Linux
> that'll be used for RISC OS shared libraries.

So to summarise for those who are lurking or haven't used the tools very
much, a paraphrase of the aim of GCCSDK/UnixLib/ChoX11 is to make programs
think they're on Linux[1].  Though a restricted subset of Linux with some
things that don't currently work at the moment.  Our aim is to make the
environment more Linux-like as time goes on, which includes such things as
ELF/shared libraries (GCC), more POSIX features (UnixLib) and more X
features (ChoX11).  But at the same time keeping the user interface to
programs as RISC OS-like as possible.

[1] We're not aiming for Linux as such, but often if we have to jump one
way or other it means jumping in the Linux direction.

[I'm not a primary developer, but this is my understanding of the situation]

The point of this for the programmer is that they can generally assume when
building programs to choose all the settings for Linux unless there are
particular reasons otherwise.

On a related note, I'm wondering whether there are lurkers out there who
would like to do development on GCCSDK/UnixLib/ChoX11 but are lacking a
suitable Unix system to do it on?  If you could have an account on such a
system would that be helpful for development?  I'm not necessarily
able to do this (for one thing I have no suitable hardware at the
moment) but thought it's worth investigating the demand.

Theo