OS_GBPB/readdirm monotonic check

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Thu Jul 28 02:19:03 PDT 2005

I think this is perhaps for John, as he made the change.  I recall also
the discussion started by Graham about the contents of a directory
changing.

readdir_r() checks to see if R4 has increased after a call to OS_GBPB -
this happens to not work over SunFish, and I believe, other filing
systems.  Indeed, the StrongHelp page says not to make any assumptions
about this value (apart from when it's -1 of course).   Note also the
comments at the top (I presume, made by John, about it increasing). Is
this check really meaningful?   I appreciate that there are a host of
problems that are trying to be resolved with the handling here.