No more, I say

Nick Burrett nick at sqrt.co.uk
Fri Jun 10 09:49:03 PDT 2005

Between the months of January and May (inclusive) I have been working on
the GCCSDK for 8-10 hours/day, 5-6 days/week.  Progress has been made on
UnixLib and making GCC build ELF binaries for RISC OS.  Though in the
case of the latter, these changes haven't seen the light of day yet.

On reflection, I wonder what the situation would have been if I had been
in full-time employment.  I feel that most of the work I've done over
the last six months would never have happened.  A GCC/ELF port would be
in a different guise, or maybe not even started.

For me, there are no benefits to working on the compiler/run-time
libraries.  I got rid of my A440/1 back in 1996 and at that time made
the decision to move onto newer technology.  I completed the original
brief of updating GCC 2.7.2 back in 1999.  I published GCCSDK in source
code form with the aim of encouraging others to take over the work, with
my intention of leaving GCCSDK development behind once the release of
3.0 became available.

4 years later, I still find myself hacking on this project.  My use of
RISC OS is only via the RedSquirrel emulator or my own QEMU/RISC OS
emulator.  Standards have remained high because other developers have
been testing the changes more thoroughly than I.

I started on the RISC OS GCC project back in November 1994, I've grown
tired of it and would like to do something else now.  I thank all those
who have used the SDK over the years, commented on it, developed it,
tested it etc.  It has certainly helped to reduce the workload.

I will place my RISC OS/ELF changes for GCC 4.1 and Binutils and my
QEMU/RISC OS emulator onto the gccsdk.riscos.info FTP next week, marking
my end to the project.

Regards,

Nick.