RISC OS paths in cross compiled source

John Tytgat John.Tytgat at aaug.net
Mon Jun 13 12:07:01 PDT 2005

In message <42AD4D03.20900 at sqrt.co.uk>
          Nick Burrett <nick at sqrt.co.uk> wrote:

> I wondered whether filename translation could be seperated out from
> UnixLib.  Standardise the interface a bit and convert into a module that
> could be generally accessible by all applications, without a requirement
> to link against UnixLib or Libscl.
>
> Since filename translation isn't really a performance penalty, then a
> couple of SWIs to translate between RISC OS and Unix filenames would
> suffice.

The problem I see is that some Unix based programs really require a
particular setting of __riscosify_control otherwise they won't work in
all/many situations.  An example is CVS which requires that
xyz = unixify(riscosify(unixify(xyz))) for all possible xyz Unix paths.

> The other possible addition would be a manual for the C library
> functions themselves, most of which could be extracted from glibc.

I don't see the added value compared to online resources like
<URL:http://www.opengroup.org/cgi-bin/sussearch.pl>.