riscosify and /home/riscos/env/

Theo Markettos theo at markettos.org.uk
Tue Jun 14 14:31:17 PDT 2005

I've been working on a patch to convert Unix filename
/home/riscos/env/foo/bar/ into RISC OS filename foo:bar in __riscosify()
Before I submit it I have a few questions:

As part of this it's quite valuable to tidy up Unix paths before they get
converted to make matching path components easier, so
/../home////fred/../riscos/./env//spong gets converted to
/home/riscos/env/spong.  This also improves the matching of special cases
/var, /usr, /dev and mappings supplied in UnixFS$/ variables.  Currently
__riscosify translates /foo/bar/../blob into $.foo.bar.^.blob, but under
such a scheme it would translate to $.foo.blob.  Would this cause problems
for anyone?  In my patch this only affects pathnames starting with a slash,
but the tidying code will work on relative pathnames too.

Secondly as doing translations is fairly complex I have a small conformance
testing program which can test different corner cases.  Is there any
interest in collecting a bunch of such programs into a testsuite?  It would
make testing future modifications easier and an automatic testbench might
help diagnose future problems.

If there are no showstoppers I'll submit my patch tomorrow...

Theo

Theo Markettos                 theo at markettos.org.uk
Clare Hall, Cambridge          atm26 at cam.ac.uk
CB3 9AL, UK                    http://www.markettos.org.uk/