riscosify and /home/riscos/env/

Theo Markettos theo at markettos.org.uk
Wed Jun 15 09:15:53 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 03:59:53PM +0100, Peter Naulls wrote:
> In message <20050615141342.GP5969 at chiark.greenend.org.uk>
>           Theo Markettos <theo at markettos.org.uk> wrote:
> > --prefix=myapp: but Makefiles etc will cause trouble due to the colon.
>
> I'm sure I remember someone talking about a fix for this with GNU make.
> We certainly ought to invesitgate it - I'm sure it's simple, and
> dependencies often contain colons.

That was me.  I submitted a patch to GNU make but the make people ignored
it:
http://gccsdk.riscos.info/mail-archive/gcc/2005/3040.html

The reason I didn't pursue that direction is that other things as well as
make fall over with colons, so it doesn't help all cases.

Anyway, my /home/riscos/env/ patch is attached.  It also fixes a bug in
translate_or_null which would strip trailing dots on filenames like
/foo/bar/baz./boing  The most likely scenario this would come up is when
riscosifying a previously unixified case of adfs::0.$.9charname/ where
a filename with an extension has been truncated.

Also testriscosify.c is extended with more tests and the ability to unixify
the results and compare them with the original.  This throws up a few
problems in unixify(), in particular:

Original unix: ..
Riscosified: ^
Unixified again: ^

Original unix: .
Riscosifed: @
Unixified: @

Original unix: LanMan98#no.types::mint/$/index.php
Riscosifed: LanMan98#no.types::mint.$.index/php
Unixified: /LanMan98#no.types::mint.$/index/php

I think I'll leave these for another day though.

Theo Markettos                 theo at markettos.org.uk
Clare Hall, Cambridge          atm26 at cam.ac.uk
CB3 9AL, UK                    http://www.markettos.org.uk/