Experimental GCC supporting dynamic linking and shared libraries

John-Mark Bell jmb202 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Nov 22 16:25:55 PST 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, John Tytgat wrote:

> In message <4dcdf5ecf2leenoar at ukos.com>
>          Lee Noar <leenoar at ukos.com> wrote:
>
>> Although all should be 32bit compatible, shared libraries are
>> stored in the RMA on all systems. I intend to change this to a
>> dynamic area for 32bit systems in a future release.
>
> Why not always store it in DA ?

The problem with storing executable code in a DA on 26bit machines is that
DAs may well end up being located above the 64MB addressable boundary.
I suppose a potential work-around for this kind of thing could be to
create the DA early on (say, as part of the boot sequence) and hope that
the OS allocates one located below the 64MB boundary.

> And I would make it RO too so that if someone tries to write to it, this
> gets faulted.

I'd agree with this; it does at least offer a modicum of protection from
stray memory writes.