Experimental GCC supporting dynamic linking and shared libraries

Lee Noar leenoar at ukos.com
Fri Nov 25 11:06:36 PST 2005

In article <f61c0bce4d.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>, John Tytgat
<John.Tytgat at aaug.net> wrote:
> In message <4dcdf5ecf2leenoar at ukos.com> Lee Noar
>           <leenoar at ukos.com> wrote:

> > I've uploaded an unofficial, experimental version of GCC to
> > my web site:
> >
> > <http://www.leenoar.ukos.com/gcc/index.html>
> >
> > This is an ELF only toolchain which can be used to build
> > shared libraries and dynamically linked binaries for RISC
> > OS. It comprises of GCC 3.4.4 and binutils 2.15. All tools
> > supplied are themselves dynamically linked (which helps test
> > the system as it's developed). [...]

> Is it possible to make a diff a available for this code ? I'm
> interested to see what the changes are so far.

Diffing the C source is easy enough, the main stumbling block is
the assembler which is in ELF (GAS) format. It's probably easier
in this case to provide the whole file. I should to be able to
come up with something.

> > Although all should be 32bit compatible, shared libraries
> > are stored in the RMA on all systems. I intend to change
> > this to a dynamic area for 32bit systems in a future release.

> Why not always store it in DA ? And I would make it RO too so
> that if someone tries to write to it, this gets faulted.

In article
<Pine.LNX.4.62L.0511230013270.31989 at tarrant.ecs.soton.ac.uk>,
   John-Mark Bell <jmb202 at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> The problem with storing executable code in a DA on 26bit
> machines is that DAs may well end up being located above the
> 64MB addressable boundary. I suppose a potential work-around
> for this kind of thing could be to create the DA early on
> (say, as part of the boot sequence) and hope that the OS
> allocates one located below the 64MB boundary.

Claiming a DA early during boot has crossed my mind, but what
effect would it have on the RMA's position? On my machine (40MB
+ 2MB), the RMA is limited to about 15MB and starts at
&02100000. Is this limit imposed by the total amount of memory
in the machine or the 26bit boundary?

Lee.

--
   |     |\ |           http://www.leenoar.ukos.com/index.php
   |__ee | \|oar        StrongARM Risc PC, RISC OS 4.
    leenoar at ukos.com
  Manchester, England