Thanks for GCCSDK - obtaining SUL

John Tytgat John.Tytgat at aaug.net
Mon Apr 10 15:58:33 PDT 2006

In message <910a6f154e.peter at chocky.org>

> In message <5dca63154e.martin at bach.planiverse.com>
>           Martin Wuerthner <martin at mw-software.com> wrote:
>
> > The Firefox documentation points at
> > http://www.riscos.info/unix/usage.html
> > but this refers to using Unix Porting Project programs and has a lot
> > more info about UnixHome and X servers, etc., which might confuse
> > users who just happen to want GhostScript. Furthermore, clicking on
> > the !System icon or the SharedUnixLibrary link leads to a directory
> > listing with multiple entries that are not explained. Could we have a
> > single definite download page just for SharedUnixLibrary?
>
> I'm not sure why there are 3 files in that directory - John will have
> to answewr that.

I wasn't aware that there were public links to the *directory*
<URL:http://gccsdk.riscos.info/downloads/sharedunixlib/> which contained
an older version of SharedUnixLibrary v1.07 'system-sul107.zip', the latest
SharedUnixLibrary v1.09 with the GPL Digital Renderer v0.52
'system-sul109-dr052.zip' and an always up-to-date link to the latest
version 'system.zip'.  I assumed only
<URL:http://gccsdk.riscos.info/downloads/sharedunixlib/system.zip> was
being used.

> The link on the page should just refer to system.zip.

Exactly.

> The definitive URL is supposed to be:
> http://www.riscos.info/downloads/gccsdk/sharedunixlib/system.zip

The GCCSDK download page has indeed been moved.

> As for the page itself, it's hard to decide what should go on it.  Many
> of my problems do of course require the additional components, as does
        ^^^^^^^^
"programs" ? ;-)

> NetSurf and other ports.  As you know, riscos.info is being redone as a
> Wiki, so there's no reason why you or someone else couldn't try for a
> better version of the page.

As a starter I've added a "Distributing GCC compiled programs" section
to the <URL:http://www.riscos.info/wiki/index.php/GCCSDK> GCCSDK wiki
page.  My feeling is that when programs need more resources (modules,
data files), they should be able to mention this in their installation
notes.  Which NetSurf download page is exactly doing.