Thanks for GCCSDK - obtaining SUL

John Tytgat John.Tytgat at aaug.net
Mon Apr 10 16:26:19 PDT 2006

In message <cbe670154e.martin at bach.planiverse.com>
          Martin Wuerthner <martin at mw-software.com> wrote:

> In message <910a6f154e.peter at chocky.org>
>           Peter Naulls <peter at chocky.org> wrote:
>
> > In message <5dca63154e.martin at bach.planiverse.com>
> >           Martin Wuerthner <martin at mw-software.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I have recently downloaded and compiled GCCSDK on my Linux box. Having
> >> just used it to port GhostScript 8.50 to RISC OS I would like to say a
> >> big thank-you to everyone involved in creating and maintaining GCCSDK.
> >> It is a stunning tool with really good documentation making it
> >> incredibly easy to compile Unix software for RISC OS. Well done!
> >
> > Great, but don't forget to add GS to the GCCSDK autobuilder so everyone
> > can recreate it.
>
> Unfortunately, I do not think this can work because there is a bit of
> manual intervention required to build the code (e.g., the GhostScript
> build process builds intermediate executables that need to be run
> natively to create additional files) and the result is not just a
> single executable but needs to be packaged with its resource files.

You've tried it with autobuilder ? Because when you're using the
porting scripts ro-make & ro-config in the $GCCSDK_INSTALL/env directory
(assuming you did use these), you basically have the recipe for an
autobuilder configuration.

I never looked at how GS is being built but it is certainly not the only
program requiring the native host compiler to build programs which are
used in the build procedure only.

> I will put build instructions on my site so others can retrace my steps.

Mmh. The biggest advantage of having your program in autobuilder is that
it will require minimal effort of everyone to have the latest version
of your ported program available.

Feel free to ask questions how to do it.  Such small extra effort really
pays off in the future.