[gccsdk] GCC4: Advise using -static for linking

Alex Waugh alex at alexwaugh.com
Wed Jan 10 13:25:50 PST 2007

> Great.  At this time, can we review the plan for packaging/distributing
> shared libraries.  Alan B. has some views on this with regards to
> developement libraries that he's keen to get going with, which is the
> other side of the coin.

I've listed below what I'd like to see as the requirements. Are there
any others that need adding?

Cross compiling works out of the box with the normal libtool based
flows.

Applications can dlopen shared objects from a specific location, e.g.
their own application directory.

Libraries can exist in a common location, which can be managed
either manually, or by RiscPkg.

There is a set of guidelines for producing shared libraries, to ensure
they all use the same ABI etc., and so there is a canonical source for
all the common libraries like zlib and so on.

Are there any mistakes made in other platforms that we can learn from
and avoid?

Alex

Alex Waugh                                           alex at alexwaugh.com